Sunday, June 26, 2011

Comfort food is, well, comfortable.

Tonight for dinner I made a meal that always brings me foodie comfort like no other. Spaghetti with meat sauce, a big, fat, mixed greens salad with zesty Italian and crusty toasted Italian bread. MMMM, lovin' in my tummy!!

This is how I made the sauce...not healthy, not complicated, full of cheats, but sooo good!

3 cloves fresh garlic, minced
1 cup white onion minced

Saute in olive oil until translucent and fragrant. Add:

1 lb lean ground beef (I like 93% for sauce because it has a bit of fat and fat has flavor)
Brown through. Add:

1 can of Hunts tomato sauce ( I know, I know - this is the cheat!!!)
Warm through.

In the meantime, boil water for pasta. I don't add salt or oil to the water because it hasn't ever really made a difference to me. I think the oil makes the pasta slippery and the sauce doesn't "stick" as well. Only my opinion.....

Cook about a lb of good spaghetti - I like good pasta and will make it myself on occasion - boxed or fresh-from-the-store is just fine for this meal. I like it al dente - which actually means "to the tooth", in case you were wondering - but cook it however you like it. Pour the sauce over and mix to coat. The meaty bits always sink to the bottom, so stir it well!

The salad:
Tonight was organic baby greens, plum tomatoes, cucumber, and broccoli. Kind of a strange combo, but veggies work together don't they? I like to add lots of things to my salads - fruits, nuts, sweets and sours. This one was basic and very yummo!

The bread:
What's a meal without bread, huh? This is where my NY side shines on through - NOBODY has better bread than NY - not even kidding!! This may be my most favorite side dish! I like anything bready! I scored a fresh, crusty Italian at the *gasp* commissary, took it home, buttered it up and stuck it under the broiler for a few minutes! So delish!! And perfect for scooping up extra sauce!

Share your comfort foods with me!!! Bon Apetite! ~K 

1 comment:

  1. Love spaghetti sauce, you can hide so many good things in there. The kids and I are not fans of eggplant, but I know it's good for us, so I'll occasionally cook it up, puree it, and mix it into the sauce. Voila! Good nutrients, none of the taste (if seasoned with other things). I'll puree other things into it sometimes as well.

    ReplyDelete